My Mission Call

Called to serve in the Michigan, Detroit Mission in the Spanish language from September 2014- September 2016

Monday, March 2, 2015

Week 22 - Teach like you are dying

So just an off topic thing I'd like to say; I've officially gotten down to 196lbs so that's 34 pounds lost in total on my mission!

But now to the week! This was the most successful yet gruesome week I've had yet. From near dog bite experiences to horrible rejections to getting a person to the temple again (just the entryway). Let me start off by saying, I fear no man nor beast, God knows the commitment I have with Him and because of that I have His protection with me. Of course I am not doing anything to abuse that gift or act stupidly but because of this we have been able to speak with more people. With that I am going to quote a story from my journal of an experience to show a situation of what I'm talking about.

"However, we did have a rather bad experience today. So first off we went up to the gate of this house and their was a nasty, fang bearing German Shepard growling at us. God has given me a gift to know whether or not a dog is serious. So without hesitation I went in the gate with the dog (this was the 2nd time today I had done this and there have been  many other days when I have done this as well) Elder Sawyer said, 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!', I just told him what I normally tell him, 'He's all bark, no bite.' As usual the dog despite his rather convincing act backs off whimpering or barking from a distance. And also as usual Elder Sawyer says, 'Whatever man, I'm staying right here.' I just tell him 'There are families and people to save Elder, and the priesthood is over all things on the earth.', Normally what will happen is I'll knock and when the people in the house answer Elder Sawyer will scurry on up behind me (but I'm not bagging on Elder Sawyer any Elder that's with me does that.)"  

Because of experiences like this we have been able to talk to more people, but we have also gotten some ugly remarks from people. Most of the ugly remarks are because the owners are mad that their dog isn't as vicious as they want or because they don't want the real bad guys out there to see that their dog is a total wimp. But I am determined to find and teach as many people as I can, if we get remarks like that even when we explain who we are, these people just aren't ready for the gospel. If they really knew who we are and what only we can specifically bring to them then they would greet us with open arms. We as missionaries just have to try our hardest to find those who are prepared and ready for the gospel, because there are people out there.

Speaking of which we found a great family we are teaching. Unfortunately only one of the girls in the family is really keeping her commitments BUT, she is a superstar! She's 14. So as you can see she is really progressing! She has been able to find out that what we are saying isn't just a tradition passed down by our ancestors but that what we are saying is very real. The Lord asks so little before He opens His door to us and this girl has been able to figure that out for herself and even right in front of her family she has received direct answers from God! But her family members can understand what exactly is going on because they themselves are not keeping their commitments and by doing so are keeping so much from themselves. Luckily even though the mother isn't progressing right now she is completely supportive of us and what we are doing for her daughter. Hopefully she herself will come to realize what her daughter has come to realize.

My loved ones, do not let yourself become like this family. When we do what God has commanded He is bound to His words and WILL bless you. God has required little, but He gives much.

I pray that you all will take heed to God's words and apply them to your own life and come to see that what I am saying is true! I love you all very much.

Until next week,
Elder Samuel Afton Alger

Graffiti picture of the week!



We bumped into this cute guy when knocking doors nobody was home but these guys were more than willing to give us their attention! 

I'm pretty sure he's a husky- Pitt bull mix, totally adorable!


We treated ourselves with a little dinner at Nuestra Familia!


Well we got to bring another investigator to come to a devotional right next to the Detroit Temple! She LOVED the temple and we got to take inside to the entry way! (she's the shorter one, the other was an investigator I used to have in Detroit River North!)





1 comment:

  1. Makes my heart surge with pride.....What a man of God!!!

    ReplyDelete