My Mission Call

Called to serve in the Michigan, Detroit Mission in the Spanish language from September 2014- September 2016

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 4

Well, this week has passed by quickly and I've only got one more week left!

I've learned so much! In the mission there are four levels of missionary work. Lv1, Be Worthy (if you stay on level one then you are just trying to make it by while on your mission), Lv2, Work Hard (if you stay on level two then you are working hard but not quite yet as the Lord would have you do it), Lv3, Pray Unceasingly (if you stay on level three you will receive guidance and know more about how the Lord works), and finally Lv4, Exercise Faith (Once here you are one with the will of the Lord and true miracles will start to happen, and you will be able to perform the Lords will by prompting and faith, and it is through this we can reach the level of potential the Lord sees in us).

This week Elder Godoy (who also spoke in General Conference) came and spoke to us for our devotional. He spoke about many amazing things, one of them was the four levels of missionary work. Another thing he spoke about was the doubtfulness of the missionaries in the Book Of Mormon before Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah. He spoke about how before these legendary missionaries, the Lord's servants were doubtful and said that it was impossible to teach the people of the Lamanites because of their blood-thirst and their wickedness. But Elder Godoy stopped there to say that the Lord can do anything, anywhere (Alma 26:24-27). This is why the sons of Mosiah and Alma were so successful, it was because of their faith in their Lord.

I also have learned a lot about revelation, I have come to the decision that with the Lord revelation is limited to three things. First, is worthiness. We all can obtain revelation and answers at any point on the scale of obedience, however, the quantity and quality of them is completely dependent on our worthiness. Second, revelation, which is also limited to your next step in the walk of faith, knowledge, and salvation. For example, the Brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon was so faithful, worthy and ready for his next step in progression that he saw the Hand of God. After he took that step, he was ready to see the full presence of the Lord. (I hope this all makes sense, if not, pray to understand haha). The type of revelation given to us is completely dependent on what the Lord knows we are ready for and it is when we continuously take those steps, that all can be revealed to us. Third, revelation is also limited to the next step of progression for those we are receiving it for. For example, I cannot give revelation above the readiness of those investigators I am receiving it for. This is why in the Book of Mormon it says many times that "the words which were said can not be written because of the greatness of them." it says that because we ourselves are not ready to hear them, but we all can obtain them, so long as we are worthy, faithful, and ready. It is with these three limitations of revelation that we are really not limited at all. So it is with the commandments of God, they do not limit us, they really free us.

As you can see, this has been a fulfilling week. Many great things have happened. I love to be able to bring others closer to the Lord with the power of the words he gives me. And the same has been given to me by other missionaries. The revelation I have given and shared with others is a true blessing to me. We are all servants of His Work and soldiers in His Royal Army.

The Lord is my God, and I am His humble servant. We should all be like Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride, brought down to humility, with our eyes closed and our swords before us ready with faith for our Father to guide us. (this is what I call "doing the Inigo Montoya" haha)

Mail should no longer come to me at the Provo MTC.  Please use the Michigan Detroit Mission Office address.

Elder Samuel Alger
33505 State Street, Ste 101
Farmington, MI 48335

Adios my friends, God be with you!
Elder Alger


This is me and my companion and Sister Anderson, and Sister Stringfellow again. they're at the Mesa temple now. Don't forget to say hi for me!


This is my zone.

Laundry room fun.



More fun in the laundry room


No comments:

Post a Comment